Thursday 15 January 2009

Peter of the Night.

I went on a night ride to Nant Tuesday night and I have to say that it was an awakening in two respects.

Firstly, it has become apparrent that I have become a complete pie over Christmas! The summit loop was a bit of a slog and normally I can handle it fine even on my jump bike (which I was using). I know that on night riding you have to work twice as hard to go half as fast, but I really was hanging by the end!

Secondly, I have realised that my lights are naff! They are by a company that I don't think is in business any more (unsurprisingly) called "Knight Light". These cost me £35 on CRC and despite having two bulbs of 5 and 10w with a lithium-ion battery, they are about as powerful as the Swiss navy. Matt had his new Ayup's which produced cartoon levels of light and the others had similar set-ups.

I'm not sure that I will upgrade though based on the fact that this was my third ever night ride and expenditure would be high to obtain a half decent set. Also, I do find that night riding makes you more intuitive. You end up feeling for the trail more and relying less on your eyesight. A bit masochistic, but I like it like that. :)

4 comments:

Ben Allen said...

Good blog man - I didn't realise you had one! You ever considered doing a bit of a cycling tour abroad, or even speaking to my brother about cycling with him? He's always up for company. He's somewhere in Belgium at the moment, hitching back to Istanbul!

Liz Allen said...

Further to Ben's comment log on to ride-earth.org.uk or just click this link on Ben's links. Interesting reading.

Liz Allen said...

Further to Ben's comment log on to ride-earth.org.uk or just click this link on Ben's links. Interesting reading.

Peter Knight said...

Hey, yeah, i've been reading the ride earth blogs for the past year and a bit. I quite fancy some cycle touring abroad after reading it. Its all properly inspiring stuff. So yeah, depending on money and comitments when I finish uni it may be good to get abroad for some cycle-based travel or even to meet up with Tom.

Right now i'm starting to plan a quick Lands End to John O' Groats ride in either the easter break or when in finish in September / October. But I will keep you posted on that one.

Cheers for the comments!